Aloha from Hawaii

Posted by Amber , Tuesday, July 1, 2008 Tuesday, July 01, 2008



Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

We have finally made the move! After months and months of changing our minds, we decided on a place. I am still unsure if this was the wisest place to start, but I am glad to say we did it anyway. My first opinions of Hawaii are... hot, hot, and very hot, the ocean is beautiful, I sweat like crazy, people are friendly, we have a nice condo to live in, we got a car, there is an awesome coffee shop right on the ocean w/ free wifi, air conditioners are life savers, it is constantly overcast (or what the locals call 'vog', volcanic fog) which I wasn't expecting (some say it is because of the last volcanic eruption... who knows when that was), bugs, gecko's, little crabs, mountains, lava rock, few beach's... Overall I must say Hawaii has been... kind of a disappointment though :( I guess I should say it is just different than I thought. I am not saying I don't like Hawaii, because it truly is beautiful. I was just expecting something different and that has been the disappointment. This may be because I have had a sinus infection since we got here that won't go away, and we haven't been able to do anything fun yet. So far, our time here has been... hotel rooms, eating out, applying for a lease on a place, buying a car, buying household items, opening a bank account, no internet except at Denny's and the coffee shop, millions of trips to walmart, kmart and costco, trying to handle Noah's attitude problems, and trying to rest so that I can feel better. No trips to the beach yet! Doesn't that seem crazy?!

We haven't been able to get out and meet anybody yet because I have been sick. So that has also been hard. Ben and I feel like we don't have anyone to talk to but each other. Not that that is a bad thing, but it would be nice to meet some people.
It is starting to sink in that I am very far away from all my friends and family. Every night around 7:30 I have an emotional break down with lots of crying... Ben has been here to comfort me and we are constantly praying for strength and comfort. I knew it would be hard, but I could never have prepared myself for how hard it actually is. It is so hard to not be able to hug my parents. I miss the wonderful time I had spending with my friends. Sometimes I think, what is more important... the place you live, or the people you live near? I want to think I will be able to make some new friends, but I can't ever replace those friends that are so dear to me in Colorado. I truly hope everyone knows how special you are to me, and how much I miss you all. Please come a visit if you can/want to. We have a bed and place you can stay! We will try to visit as much as possible too.

For now, that is all I can think of. I will try to update everyone as much as possible on what is happening here, and I appreciate emails and pictures of what is happening in all your lives. Anything that will help me stay connected to you is wonderful. I pray the Lord is blessing your lives. Please take care!

Until next time,
Aloha!

2 Response to "Aloha from Hawaii"

Erin Stroup Says:

Amber! I can't tell you how much I felt as you did when we moved to Atlanta. I cried all the time. And just hated Altanta. And it was hard when the only person I had to talk to was Paul. Know that you guys are in my thoughts and prayers. It will get better, I promise. You might eventually say, "Why didn't we do this sooner" I am excited for you guys. And if things really don't wotk out, Colorado will still always be there for you.

josh and annie Says:

Hi Amber,
I second what Erin said. When I first moved to CO I cried a LOT. :) Then when we got married and I moved up the street a few miles I cried again. A LOT. :) I do have a few issues with change. But God is good, he really is. Any adjustment takes some time so I pray that you and Ben will grow even closer during this time of dependence on each other!